Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Day of Giving


With my lease at 1132 Ogden St. expiring on the 31st of July, my 26th birthday, I wanted to get most of my moving completed one day before. So, on the 30th, I woke up at 7AM with an unusual amount of morning-time motivation and excitement.

The giving began by placing a flimsy card table at the intersection of 11th and Ogden. On two of the four sides, I taped handwritten signs that read "Free Stuff" and from there, I began the sweat inducing process of carrying almost everything I owned from my second floor bedroom down one flight of stairs, out the front door, down another flight of stairs to the street, and then about 100 feet south on Ogden to my little card table. It took me about two minutes to cover the distance. As my books, lamps, end tables, pillows, clothing, an old laptop, shoes, stationary, plates, my 80's party outfit, an old BP Oil-spill Halloween costume, computer cords, and so much more hit the table, my neighbors (all of whom I had never met until this second to last day of living in Capitol Hill) scooped them up, in some cases taking laundry baskets full, and toted them off to their own homes where my possessions would start a new chapter in their own lives.

As the day ended, and with salt stains on my shirt and shorts now clearly, I wanted to completely finish by the task of moving out, but I simply didn't have it in me, so I made the short walk across the street to Whole Foods, bought some Turkey-Green-Chili sausage, fired up the grill, simultaneously steamed some broccoli, and in no time found myself drifting off to a satisfying and full-stomached slumber.

Waking up the next morning, my birthday morning, it struck me as glaringly ironic that I would still continue to give away more of my possessions, and yet staring around my near empty room, I was washed over with a beautiful sense of calm. As I finished toting the last few items down to the street, I realized that with each thing I gave away, I received more calm, more clarity, more peacefulness. I have know in my mind, but on this day I felt in every ounce of my body that having less things, means having less things to worry about, and thus with each item I took down to the street, I received more freedom, more clarity, and more of an understanding and focused perspective on the things in life I find most important.

All said and done, to South Korea (SoKo) I'm taking my hiking pack (filled with clothes) and one carry on suitcase (also filled with clothes) as well as my computer. That's it. Now, I did pack my Subaru Legacy with my most prized and important possessions such as my camping, biking, skiing, and cooking gear. But, I can proudly say that everything I now own is loaded (quite tightly) into my little Sedan, and that my happiness and clarity that comes from having less is on the rise.

At present, I am couch surfing with at my friend Danielle's house. She is also a Teach For America (TFA) Denver alumni, and she is also the one who turned me onto the idea of teaching in SoKo.

Sleeping on an air-mattress, cycling through the three pairs of clothes I didn't pack or give away, waking up each morning with no pre-determined schedule, these last few days in Denver are feeling particularly unstructured, spontaneous, relaxing...perfect. I'm saying goodbye to Denver, and I'm not rushed, or on any tight schedule. Quitting my sales job yesterday has afforded me all this time, but I am glad to have it.

I really don't know what to expect next, but I love the unknown. The unknown is what was missing in my life in Denver. I know next to nothing about SoKo. I know they eat Kim-Chee (fermented cabbage), that they eat Korean Barbecue, and that on special occasions they will eat a type of dog, but as I'm sure you can tell, I don't really know squat about SoKo, and I love this rare yet blissful feeling.

But...at this point, my air-mattress is looking mighty comfortable, so for now that's all.

I look forward to sharing more thoughts and experiences with you as this next year unfolds.

~sETH

No comments:

Post a Comment