Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cram

I was in the Hyundai Department Store today with my friend Virginia and Kristy. I was in a rare mood to just bounce around a mall, so I tagged along on their trip to this MASSIVE western style department store in downtown Ulsan. After having "window shopped" our way all the way up 13 escalator accessible floors of this consumer-heaven, we had finally reached the top of the building and needed to head back down. We started to descend using the escalators but almost immediately realized that descending 13 floors via escalator would be a tedious task, so we decided to use the elevator.

We entered the elevator on the 12th floor. The elevator had a 10 person capacity; however, by the time we reached the 6th floor, I was sucking in my gut, trying to not press my sweaty self into the four people around me, and more generally speaking, there were 16 people in the elevator. Suffice to say, the notion of personal space here in Korea is a bit different than what it is in the states. And just in case you have the chance to take the elevator in the Lotte Department Store in Ulsan, more seriously consider the escalator.

No comments:

Post a Comment